Born: February 21, 1940 – July 1, 2020
John Lewis Famous quotes:
- If you see something that is not right, not fair, not just, you have a moral obligation to do something about it.
- You cannot be afraid to speak up and speak out for what you believe. You have to have courage, raw courage.
- Our struggle is a struggle to redeem the soul of America. It’s not a struggle that lasts for a few days, a few weeks, a few months, or a few years. It is the struggle of a lifetime, more than one lifetime.
- Young people can understand, and must understand, that we had success, we had failures, but we never gave up. We never gave in. We never became bitter. We didn’t hate. We continued to press on. And that’s what we’re saying: There are some ups, there are some downs, and when you’re not down, you must have the capacity and the ability to get up and keep going.
- We may not have chosen the time, but the time has chosen us.
Civil Rights Warrior
Eugene Robinson – ‘Rest In Power’ 17th July 2020